Loading...

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some cookies on this site are essential, and the site won't work as expected without them. Read More

Malmesbury Primary Care Centre

Malmesbury Primary Care Centre

national health service
Sign up NOW ...for On-line Access to make appointments,request your medication and view your medical records! Ask at Reception .
Choose font size: A A A

========================================================================

========================================================================

Minutes of the meeting held on Monday 3rd December  2018 at 19.00hrs

 

Malmesbury Medical Partnership

PATIENTS PARTICIPATION GROUP

 

=

Welcome:  The chair opened the meeting and thanked all for attending

 

Present :) Marion Burfield (Chair) Ces Smith (Vice Chair) Jennifer Walker, Roger Lee., Miriam Nicholls, Shayne Smith, Frank Soden Dave Grogan, Di Vincent Elisabeth Cheshire, Denise Richards 

 

Apologies: Tracy Doel,Margaret Perrin (Secretary)

Minutes of the last meeting :were agreed. 

 

Matters arising see agenda

 

NB No formal minute taker was appointed (MP not able to attend) for the meeting so the following are brief notes made by DG with much help from SS: Apologies from DG  if anything raised has not been included .

 

 

New GP Joining the Team

 

Replacement for Thomas Winwood is going to be Dr Rebecca Saunders. Rebecca was newly qualified and shall be doing one more session than Dr Winwood. This will be a late session on a Thursday Evening.  It is hoped that Dr Winwood will be able to do some locum work for the practice.

 

More Health Care Assistant Availability

 

There is also going to be an additional three hours of health Care Assistant appointments on a Thursday evening. This will allow many patients to attend for tests, dressing changes etc. that might otherwise find it difficult during the traditional opening hour.

 

Extra Appointments on a Thursday Evening

 

Dave explained that along with all practices in Wiltshire, MPCC has contracts with the NHS to offer appointment availability outside its traditional 8.00 -6.30 opening.  In accordance with patient surveys, local and national as well as anecdotally it was proposed to bias them on an evening sessions but also on a Saturday.  Which then allows those at work or with children to attend more easily? 

 

As mentioned at the last Meeting that wef from October there has been a trail of the proposed plans and this has effectively meant having THREE extra GP sessions in the evening with the Surgery opening time extended to 8.00pm Running alongside this has been two HCA sessions covering a range of procedures and screening tests etc.  David Explained they were keen to get the view from the PPG reps if they were happy about these arrangements and if the balance and timings of these sessions was acceptable?  Feedback from the group was very positive and several had taken advantage of these appointments and found that parking in the evening and on a Saturday was a lot easier. The PPG confirmed they were happy with distribution of these ‘extra’ hours.

 

 MJOG

As part of a pan Wiltshire initiative/ requirement practices are being asked to adopt a patient messaging software that will complement that already provided by their individual clinical systems. The System concerned is called “MJog”.  The system is basically a sophisticated texting & Smart Texting for various things. These range from appointment reminders to simple health questionnaires etc. One the practice is set up a message will be sent to all patients with a mobile number to encourage them to sign up to the “App”. Patients have the option to accept or ignore the offer.

The practice will also be trying to capture patients email addresses for the next phase of the National directive.

 

Repeat prescription issue

Repeat prescriptions handed into Lloyds Chemist for collection from them have been without permission transferred to Boots at the Primary Health Centre. This may be a mix up but Lloyds say it is happening on a regular basis

DG was unaware of the matter and said there was no reason for this to happen. DG to ask Lloyd’s for the name of the person involved.

 

Flu jabs for children

 

2-3 year old eligible children will, and have been invited to the surgery. Also a programme is being run through schools for eligible children. There are very strict guidelines on who can, and cannot have the vaccine and if the child not in an ‘eligible’ group patients the practice is not allowed to administer the vaccine.  Unlike adults it is unlikely that parents will find any private option to provide the vaccine for their child.

 

Flu jabs administered by a district nurse can only be done if the patient is already on their case list otherwise it becomes quite difficult and the patient will have to liaise with the surgery for a solution.

 

Significant Crisis / Brexit

 

In the event of an emergency or catastrophe CCG will have procedures in place and announcements and communications on radio and TV will likely be made. Currently DG has only heard reassuring messages but in reality Practices are unlikely to hear anything different or ‘extra’ to that the general public hear.

 

On Site Parking

 

There have been increasing occasions where the road/s that serves all three buildings on the site has been congested when al parking spaces have gone( usually flu clinis or busy outpatient clinics being held). In reality this only occurs occasionally but causes grief when it happens. However the road itself is actually the responsibility of “The Order of St John Community Trust (OSJCT) - i.e. the owners of Athelstan House Care Home.  This means that the practice is unable to ‘police’ or control issues with parking etc. on the main road etc.

 

Décor

 

Upstairs waiting room - whilst the posters have gone the blue tack remains. The cleaners will be asked to remove it.

 

 

Community Support 

 

Wednesday drop in session has moved from the library to the surgery (Ellen Blackler & Ollie Phipps).

 

 

Self Booking 

 

Appointment ‘check-in’ via the automated system in the waiting room doesn’t show the GP’s name the patient is booked in with. DG will investigate

 

 

 

Meeting Closed at 7.45pm

 

 

 

==========================================================================

==========================================================================

 

   Minutes of the meeting held on Monday 1st October 2018 at 19.00hrs

 

Malmesbury Medical Partnership

PATIENTS PARTICIPATION GROUP

 

 

Welcome:  The Vice chair of the PPG opened the meeting and thanked all for attending

 

Present :) Ces Smith (Vice Chair) Jennifer Walker, Roger Lee., Miriam Nicholls, Shayne Smith, Frank Soden Dave Grogan, Di Vincent  

 

Apologies: Tracy Doel Marion Burfield (Chair) Margaret Perrin (Secretary) ,  Elisabeth Cheshire, Denise Richards

 

Minutes of the last meeting :were agreed.  Proposed: Jenny Walker   Seconded:  Miriam Nicholls

Matters arising from the previous meeting.

 

Waiting Room Toys/Seating – quotes are being received.

 

 

Guest Speaker – Fatima Birkett (Care Coordinator seconded to the surgery from WH C) Apologies received but can attend next meeting.

 

Surgery Update :

“Improved Access”  this is a national initiative  which was planned to be launched Across Wiltshire  in April 2019 however due to the ‘winter pressures’ last year the launch was brought forward to tonight : 1st October !

Nationally it will be ‘advertised’ as GP service “8 to 8… 7 days a week” . Technically across Wiltshire that will be the case, however the different practices just have to provide some of that availability.. For our Surgery that will be on a Thursday Evening and Saturday Morning.  In theory patients will be able to book appointments across the whole county but currently the computer systems are unable to cope with this in a robust way. 

 

Surgery Wi Fi

 

The Wi-Fi capacity is currently being increased. A new FREE NHS web access is now available for all patients to join. There is no practice Password. The user just has to open an account and create their own password for security.

 

Flu Season

 

Vaccination has started but this year it is even more complicated than previous years as only certain patient groups are allowed to be given the different vaccination strains . The supply of these different versions to practices across the country has also been patchy so Practices can only send invites out once they are confident the vaccines have arrived.

 

Leavers :

 

Dr Thomas Winwood is sadly leaving the practice wef Mid October.  The practice is recruiting for a replacement.  He has worked her on Tuesdays and Wednesdays over many years.

 

 

Debbie Lytton (Practice Nurse) has left the practice. No immediate replacement is planned as practice currently developing its HCA’s .

 

 

AOB

 

Cec wanted to thank Reception Staff on how they were able to assist him with accessing the Online Service. They were able to advise him where he had been going wrong.

 

Miriam was able to inform the group that the Syrian Refugee Families Project was going well and the Practice had been praised for their involvement. Miriam was also able to give the Boots manager some pointers on the use of Google Translate for cases where there was a language barrier. There was an issue about a hospital prescription (having to be paid for) but DG said he would investigate.

 

Miriam was working well with the families and their spoken English is improving with village run lessons. They will be ringing the practice, with background support to book their own appointments as part of their training.

  

 

 

Meeting Closed at 7.45pm

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

==========================================================================

 

=============================================================================

 

 

 

Malmesbury Medical Partnership                    

 

 

Patient Participation Group AGM 6th August 2018

 

 

Chairman’s report: 2017 -2018

 

 

The PPG committee meets formally eight times during the year, with constant liaison between meetings. The committee now stands at 14 patient and 1 practice representative.

Marion Burfield (Chair) Ces Smith (Vice chair)  Margaret Perrin ( secretary) Miriam Nicholls, Dr Roger Lee, Jennifer Walker, Diane Vincent, Elisabeth Cheshire, Shayne Smith, Denise Richards, Frank Soden, Carl Hall , Tracy Doel and Dave Grogan practice manager.

The membership of the Patient Participation Group has changed over the last year with Michael Lynch retiring due to ill health. Shayne Smith has taken over Georgina Carters role as a representative for Hankerton Parish Council and Tracy Doel has joined the group and will be representing carers in the Malmesbury area.

 

I am pleased to highlight some of the areas in which the PPG has been active during the past year.

 

The group have had a number of presentations during the year e.g.

Dementia Care, a number of PPG have had dementia training and have now become dementia friends, Healthwatch Wiltshire, Richmond fellowship (mental health) and Kathleen Pritchard pharmacist.

Two members of the group also attend a CCG Patient Engagement Event in Devizes 

 

Surgery News:

Staffing Matters: The Practice manager keeps the PPG fully informed of changes in staff and staff deployment.

Fatimer Birkett has joined the practice and her role will be care coordinator and she will be working with the elderly and frail in the community.

 

The surgery has now employed two new part time pharmacists. The idea behind the clinical pharmacists is to work as part of the general practice team to resolve day-to-day medicine issues and consult with and treat patients directly. Having a clinical pharmacist in GP practices means GPs can focus their skills where they are most needed, for example on diagnosing and treatment. This in turn will help GPs manage the demands on their time.

 

PPG activities can be followed through minutes and reports via our website:

www.malmesburypcc.nhs.uk  The site is a mine of useful information and considerable practical suggestions, including self help advice. More and more patients are using the resource for guidance as well as for booking appointments and ordering prescriptions; you can also view part of your medical record when logged in. Appointment bookings on line are ‘real time’, so patients can see and accept the same vacancies as receptionists and call operators.

 

 In Conclusion:

 

The members of the Practice and the patient representatives continue to cooperate well together and we all work hard to improve services for patients. We meet regularly and there are friendly, frank and supportive discussions on all manner of practice matters

 

 

 

 

 

Marion Burfield (Chair)   

 

Date:                           27th July 2018

 

 

 

Next AGM: 5th August 2019.

 

 

 

 

 

===========================================================================

 

 

Malmesbury Medical Partnership

PATIENTS PARTICIPATION GROUP

 

Minutes of the meeting held on Monday 9th April 2018 at 19.00hrs

 

Present: Marion Burfield (Chair), Margaret Perrin (Secretary)  Frank Soden, Roger Lee, Jennifer Walker

Shayne  Smith,  Tracy Doel

 

Apologies:  Ces Smith (Vice Chair) Elisabeth Cheshire, Dave Grogan, Miriam Nicholls, Denise Richards Diane Vincent.

 

  1. Minutes of the last meeting were agreed.  Proposed: Jenny Walker .  Seconded: Shayne Smith
  2. Matters arising   Nil.

 

Marion Burfield  welcomed a new member to the group Tracy Doel who will be representing carers in our community.

 

3. Surgery Update:

 

Fatima Birkett who is a care coordinator has joined the practice and will be working with the elderly and frail patients.

 

Tracy Doel reported that there is a care group organised by Julie Waters who meet 1st Thursday of the month at the surgery. The group organise speakers to talk to the group about a variety of subjects e.g. victim support. At present there are 244 carers registered at the practice who are mostly family carers. 

Carer Support Wiltshire is based at the Independent Living Centre who co-ordinate all the groups and events for Carers in Wiltshire.  They also send out 6 monthly what’s on guides and newsletters. There website  http://ilc.org.uk/   gives lots of useful information.

 

 

The meeting was closed at 7.25pm

 

 

Dates for 2018:

June 4th

August 6th (AGM)

October 1st

December 3rd

 

==========================================================================

Malmesbury Medical Partnership

PATIENTS PARTICIPATION GROUP

 

Minutes of the meeting held on Monday 5th February 2018 at 19.00hrs

 

Present:Ces Smith (Vice Chair)  Margaret Perrin (Secretary)  Frank Soden, Elisabeth Cheshire, Dave Grogan, Miriam Nicholls, , Roger Lee, Georgina Carter,  Jennifer Walker. Shane Smith.

 

Apologies. : Marion Burfield (Chair), Carl Hall, Diane Vincent, Denise Richards

 

  1. Minutes of the last meeting were agreed.  Proposed: Frank Soden. Seconded: Miriam Nicholls
  2. Matters arising   Nil.

 

The Vice chair Ces Smith welcomed a new member of the group Shayne Smith who will be replacing Georgina as the Hankerton Parish Council representative.

Ces thanked Georgina for all her hard work and input over the last five years.

 

Surgery news:

 

One of the two new practice pharmacists Kathleen Pritchard attended the meeting and she explained her role at the surgery. Kathleen is a clinical pharmacist who is employed by four practices in the area, Royal Wootton Bassett (x2), Purton and Malmesbury and attends the Malmesbury practice 1 half days per week. The idea behind the clinical pharmacists is to work as part of the general practice team to resolve day-to-day medicine issues and consult with and treat patients directly. Having a clinical pharmacist in GP practices means GPs can focus their skills where they are most needed, for example on diagnosing and treatment. This in turn will help GPs manage the demands on their time.

Kathleen explained that the idea of Practices employing a pharmacist is a three year pilot scheme set up by NHS England, Health Education England, RCGP and the BMAs GP Committee to test the role of clinical pharmacists working in general practice.

 

Tracy Mead the Care coordinator no longer works at the practice and a new coordinator has been appointed and will take up her post soon.

 

Wiltshire Carers have suggested that the PPG have a carer on the committee. Tracy Doel who works at the practice and is a carer has agreed to represent carers on the committee. She will be joining the PPG committee at the next meeting.

 

At present the Surgery is carrying out a Patients survey for individual GPs and Nurses and will also carry out a general practice survey in the near future.

 

Any other comments:

 

Roger asked if the practice has a back up system for the computer system. Dave explained that they did not but he could visit any other practice in the area who are on the same system and log in to obtain the information that is required.

 

Miriam thanked the surgery for the compassion and the excellent service the staff at the surgery had given the new Syrian family who have recently moved into the area.

 

Elisabeth asked if the patients could access clinical information and personal records on line, Dave explained that they could provided they had registered  with the practice.

 

 

Meeting closed at 7.45

 

 

Dates for 2018:

 

April 9th

June 4th

August 6th (AGM)

October 1st

December 3rd.

 

 

 

========================================================================

Malmesbury Medical Partnership

PATIENTS PARTICIPATION GROUP

 

Minutes of the meeting held on Monday 4th December 2017 at 19.00hrs

 

Present: Marion Burfield (Chair), : Margaret Perrin (Secretary)  Georgina Carter,  Frank Soden, Michael Lynch, Elisabeth Cheshire, Dave Grogan, Miriam Nicholls, Carl Hall, Roger Lee, Denise Richards and Diane Vincent

 

Apologies:  Ces Smith (Vice Chair) Jennifer Walker.

 

  1. Minutes of the last meeting were agreed.  Proposed: Elisabeth Cheshire.  Seconded: Georgina Carter
  2. Matters arising   Nil.

 

3. Surgery Update:

Pharmacist.  In conjunction with the GP practices in Wootton Bassett and Purton the surgery are very pleased to have recruited Rachel Dolman a Community Pharmacist who will work between the practices to offer support to the GPs on a whole range of medication matters. This will eventually include holding face to face medication reviews with some patients.

 

Afternoon Blood sample clinic:

Dave explained that despite strict adherence to how samples were processed for an afternoon service   there had been up to a 30% rejection of blood samples using the new centrifugal equipment and sadly patients were being asked to return to the surgery for re- testing. Given this level of inconvenience the surgery had no option but to cease using this equipment and have reverted to the old system of morning only clinics.

 

Toys in waiting rooms:

Dave was presently looking at toy catalogues and is planning to order some appropriate new toys for the waiting rooms.

 

Blood/other tests results:

Dave explained that different situations required different solutions ( ie routine and acute bloods)  and the GP/clinician requesting the test should make it clear to the patient at the time what the process should be ..ie depending if the result was normal , expected or abnormal .  The most usual solution is that patients are requested to contact the Surgery after a certain time frame (depending on what test were being done) .  The GP s will always report / make comment on every result and it is this ‘report’ that the admin team are able to give the patient when they enquire. Additionally it is very common that GPs will ask the admin team to contact the patient with a specific instruction. ie “Please make an appointment with me in 3 months “…. Or “The bloods results were ‘as expected’ please continue with tablets at the same dosage as discussed “  

 

Dave said that he would remind the Doctors to be clear on what patients should do so that they are not left not knowing  what happens after the test has been done.

 

 

Patients on line:

In the New Year the surgery plans to promote Patients on Line system which will enable patients to make appointments, order their repeat medication view their medical information held by the practice. As part of this process users of the repeats.ghs@nhs.net email service will be sent a message promoting the web based on line service. Patients have to contact the surgery (complete a simple form) to attain a username and password to access the system. Unless the patient is known to the staff proof of ID will be required before access to the system can be granted. Dave reassured the meeting that the Reception team can advise patients and they would receive both paper and online information and advice on how to access and use the system. Once set up the patients will then create their own password for privacy.

If patients already have an online account /surgery password they may wish to request access to the additional modules that have been added more recently.ie Dave explained some patients will have registered before access to coded records was available. Currently 11 % of patients have online access and it is the practice’s hope it can reach 20% by the end of the project by 31st March 2018.

 

Yellow Lines:

The practice will not be repainting the yellow disabled lines in the car park area at present as they were not supposed to be painted/ highlighted in the first instance.

 

 

Other areas for discussion:

 

CH asked if there is any chance of the surgery merging with any of the surrounding surgeries.

Dave explained that there was no intention of a merger with any other practices. He explained that most practices that merge are normally failing practices, or practices who cannot recruit GPs.

 

RL asked if the PPG user area on the website could be updated. Dave to bring up to date

RL congratulated the surgery on putting up on line GPs availability as he found this information very useful.

 

DR congratulated the blood clinic staff for providing a very efficient friendly service.

 

Unfortunately Michael Lynch has resigned from the committee due to ill health.

The chair thanked Michael for his input to the committee over the last few years.

We all wish Michael well for the future.

 

Meeting closed at 7.50 pm

 

 

 

 

NEXT Meeting date:

 

5th February 2018.

 

 

 

GP Website from Wiggly-Amps Ltd. | Total visitors:469826 | Disclaimer